Monday, December 14, 2009

Weekend Festivities

Fortunately for me, I was feeling much better by Friday. I just don't have time to be sick on weekends; there's far too much to do and see! This weekend was the Fêtes de l'Escalade.

I started with a town tour on Saturday morning. Geneva’s old town is rather drab and chocked full of dull, dreary highrise apartments. That's because of it’s history as a refugee town for persecuted protestants. The city was protected by an elaborate system of walls and moats even in the 1800’s.




As refugees continued to pour into Geneva during the 1500-1600's, the housing was built closer together until the roads became little more than a squeeze space between buildings. One of these old passages has been preserved and is open to the public during this weekned only. There really should be a sign at the entrance saying: “If you are fatter than 45cm wide, do NOT enter!”

Fêtes de l’Escalade

Fêtes de l’Escalade celebrates the independence of Geneva and in particular the victory of the Genevois over an attack by the Savoy. On Saturday, Dec 11, 1602 the Savoy troops launched a surprise attack in an attmpt to make Geneva their capital. The citizens of Geneva where awaked by the sentry firing and all came out to defend their city. The most famous combatant was a woman effectionately known as Mère Royaume who threw her cauldron full of soup on the attackers.

Over the weekend there are a variety of events depicting life in 1602. People dressed in period costumes distribute hot wine, show how torches are made, demonstrate the firing of a cannon and roast a wild boar (specially hunted for this purpose). The people dress up in a variety of costumes and eat soup and chocolate cauldrons are available in all the chocolate shops.


Partying at the church.



Fantastic Family

I met a fantastic Swiss family this weekend. We both arrived at the meeting location for the tour just after it was to start at 10pm. Nobody was around and the building was locked. This family had a teenager from the USA visiting them for the weekend, so they really wanted to show him the sites. Nayla, the mother, invited me join her as she conducted the tour for her guest. So I did. I hopped into their car and we found a place to park, then began walking through the tour. It wasn't long before we ran into the formal tour and so we joined them. But They didn't say good-bye once the tour was over. Instead, Nayla invited me to join the family to get a warm drink at a cafe (and paid for me). Then they were giddy with excitement to sample the roasted wild boar. I'm not a big fan of pork and so didn't buy a plate, but they said it was so delicious and wanted me to taste it so they put some of their meals on a plate for me. I had a ball spending the day with them. They were so enthusiastic to have me along that I was somewhat disappointed when the time came for me to meet up with some church members to see the l'Escalade.

2 comments:

  1. How cute is that little boy? The one with the funny helmet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. More comments from Lucas "Wow! She's already made new friends! She knows a lot of people."

    ReplyDelete