Saturday, December 5, 2009

Beinvenue à Suisse!


I arrived last week and was struck by how much the landscape reminded me of BC....of course, the buildings and shops are definitely different. I was so happy to find a smiling stranger waiting in the airport holding up a piece of paper with my name on it. She took me to the hotel where I was to stay the night because my apartment wasn't ready. The hotel happens to offer free massages on Thursday evenings so it was well worth the stay! I was also delighted to find that the hotel is right next door to the LDS chapel.

Friday morning I didn't wake up until 10:00 am...just in time to get ready to be picked up and taken to my studio apartment. It's not a fancy set up, but it is nice and clean and very functional. The only thing I'm missing is a telephone and internet (and a microwave). After being dropped off, I was told that I didn't have to report to work until Tuesday morning. It could have been a lonely four days if I wasn't Mormon. Fortunately for me, I already had connections through a man that I met at a Single Adult event in Oregon this fall. So I had already arranged a dinner engagement Friday evening with Tiffany and dinner with the Bishop on Saturday. Sunday there was church to go to and Monday was Family Home Evening. Tuesday I finally reported at work. My colleagues where shocked when they asked if I wanted to go for dinner and I declined because I already had social plans. (It was institute night.) I did join them for dinner on Thursday, however. We went to a charming Swiss restaurant complete with a stuffed Saint Bernard and some yodellers who also played the alphorn and cowbells.

One of the things I love about Geneva is how many different nationalities I encounter. Between church and work, I've associated with people from Mongolia, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Austria, France, China, Australia, Britain, Bolivia, India, Portugal, Lybia, Kenya, Somalia, and Panama. And we all converse in English!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you are already enjoying all that switzerland has to offer. any cute boys? :)
    when i moved back to vernon and fall rolled around i kept having flashback to my first area in Perigueux. i agree that it is very much like europe here. must be why so many europeans move here.

    ReplyDelete