Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Matterhorn

Monday I took the day off work and went to see the Matterhorn.  It
was soooooo awesome!  Why is it that if I have to go to work, I can barely crawl out of bed by 8:00am, but if I’m headed on a trip I pop wide awake at 5:30am….a full hour before my alarm is set to go off?

100_1133I went on this adventure with Stefanie.  We road the train to Zermatt which is a small village that only allows electric vehicles in it.  Here’s me with one of the buses for the local hotel.  I liked that it was mostly just people streaming through the streets. 

100_1134
The town wasn’t too small to not have a Japanese restaurant.  I loved their food display.  I haven’t had Japanese food since I came here.  But I opted for traditional Swiss cuisine and had a cheese fondue (and crème brulée for dessert).

100_1136

 

This is the English church.  Inside were a variety of plaques recognizing various climbers who have climbed the Matterhorn (or died trying).



100_1145Did you know that the Matterhorn is on Toblerones?  I didn’t until I went into a chocolate shop.  You can buy all sorts of Matterhorn shaped things…including macaroons. 
100_1146
Me & the Matterhorn.                     Love the Jam filled smiley faces.  
 
100_1152

There was a wedding in town.  The church bells peeled as the couple came out of the chapel and when the peeling stopped, two men starting playing the alphorns.

100_1157

100_1158

 

 

 

 


I like these ladies enjoying the show from their windows.   If I could have church bells ring and alphorns play at my wedding, maybe I’d get married too. ;)  


There are still quite a few of the old traditional homes in Zermatt.  They are raised above the ground and the animals are kept 100_1137underneath.  Round rocks are placed between the pillars and the building to keep the mice out.   I saw a grouping of these old homes way up on the hill above town and thought it’d be fun to go check them out.  I wandered through the town streets making my way uphill but kept coming to dead ends.  I finally reached a ridge just below the ridge that I was aiming for.  Just as I reached the top, a helicopter came and landed in front of me kicking up the snow.  I turned around and ran back down the hill a little ways to get away from the blowing snow.  In a minute or two, the helicopter took off again so I’m not sure what it was doing.

I found some snowshoe tracks that led uphill and I followed them for a bit.  It took me to an old abandoned cabin nestled below an overhang.  I knew the houses I wanted to see where just above me, but didn’t trust myself to climb up the snowy rock (especially since I was alone at this point since Stefanie was roaming town).  So I descended the hill in true Burnham fashion by taking bounding leaps into the deep, powdery snow.  It was a great day!

2 comments: